Description of Low Aromatic White Spirit (L.A.W.S)
White spirit (UK) or mineral spirits (US, Canada), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), Varsol, Stoddard solvent, or, generically, “paint thinner”, is a petroleum-derived clear liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting. A mixture of aliphatic, open-chain or alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons, white spirit is insoluble in water and is used as an extraction solvent, as a cleaning solvent, as a degreasing solvent and as a solvent in aerosols, paints, wood preservatives, lacquers, varnishes, and asphalt products. In western Europe about 60% of the total white spirit consumption is used in paints, lacquers and varnishes. White spirit is the most widely used solvent in the paint industry.
In households, white spirit is commonly used to clean paint brushes after use, to clean auto parts and tools, as a starter fluid for charcoal grills, to remove adhesive residue from non-porous surfaces, and many other common task.
Exact Description of White Spirit: White spirit is mixture of paraffin and aromatic hydrocarbons with a distillation range of 200-142 ° C. These types of Solvents are liquid, transparent, colored water and a mild odor, chemically stable and they do not cause corrosion.
“Usage of White Spirit” is more as a solvent in paint thinners and varnishes, as solvent drying paints, as solvents in printing inks, solvent oil separators from metal surfaces, as a solvent for waxes for furniture and flooring as well as shoe polish and dry-cleaning solvent, respectively.
Application of White Spirit
- Mineral spirits is a very powerful degreasing and cleansing agent for automobile and machinery part cleaning. The spirit eats away at oil and chemical grease and washes the part clean.
- Such spirits are even used to wash away dirt and grime from metallic objects and tools. Even dried paint, which accumulates on metal and thickens, can be dissolved and then washed off, on applying mineral spirits. This helps preserve the look and quality of the object, as opposed to scratching off the paint.
- They can be used as a solvent to erase mistakes made while painting.
- Wooden furniture which has been coated with a layer of lacquer, shellac or varnish, can be cleaned and polished with a small amount of mineral spirits. But first a small area of the furniture should be tested before complete use.
- It can be used to clean paint brushes, especially those used in heavy oils and paints.
- If sticky tape and price tags on glassware need to be removed, then dip a small ball of cotton in some mineral spirit and wipe off the sticker. Then rinse away the spirit.
- You can use mineral spirits on linoleum tiles to get rid of skid marks and scratches.
- Use mineral spirits to dissolve gum and other sticky resins, that are stuck to carpets or clothing.
- When combined with cutting oil, they are used as a lubricant for cutting threads.
White spirit packed in new or used 210 kg drums, iso tank, and IBC tank. Each 20-foot container takes 80 drums.