Description Of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion K1-40
Bitumen Emulsion K1-40 is a rapid setting cationic bitumen emulsion is an emulsified asphalt containing minimum 40% bitumen and 60% water. It is a low viscosity emulsion used mainly for tack coating. K1-40 cationic bitumen emulsion is made according to Malaysian Standard MS 1.61 (1994) and British Standard BS 434 Part 1: 1984 Class K1-40. Bitumen emulsion K1-40 is chocolate brown in color and is a free-flowing liquid at ambient temperature.
This product is water-based, ready to use, and conform to the requirements of BS 434: Part 1 and are applied in accordance with BS434:Part 2. In accordance with these standards, this product is denoted by the prefix ‘K’ signifying a cationic emulsion. The ‘1’ signifies a rapid breaking type of emulsion, while the number to the right of the hyphen indicates the bitumen content. Therefore K1-40 denotes rapid break, cationic emulsion with 40% normal bitumen content.
Uses: K1-40 is primarily used as a tack coat, to provide a bond between the existing surface and overlays e.g hot rolled asphalt, macadam, and slurry seals, or between courses in road construction. It serves two purposes in this instance:
- Minimising the risk of spillage between the two courses.
- Ensuring that during the laying of the new overlay, pushing and sliding are reduced, resulting in improved compaction.
K1-40 is also used in mist spraying and concrete curing operations.
K1-60, because of its higher bitumen content, is generally used for surface dressing, patching, retread, and other similar applications
Applications Of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion K1-40
HJ OIL Co. Bitumen Emulsion K1-40 is a cold applied rapid-acting 40% cationic bitumen emulsion. When cured K1-40 forms a thin but uniform film of bitumen on the road surface which gives an adhesive bond between a bituminous overlay and an existing surface. For best results, tack coating is strongly recommended when performing such tasks as overlaying with hot rolled asphalt, macadam or when patching or carrying out inlaid work.
K1-40 adheres exceptionally well, even in damp conditions. The overlay is held securely in place and the entry of water between road pavement courses is hindered. K1-40 may be used as a tack coat in special cases where night construction or high humidity exists.
Tack Coat K1-40 cationic bitumen emulsion can be used at ambient temperature at the spray rate of 0.25 to 0.70 liter per square meter (0.05 to 0.15 gallon per square yard).
All surfaces must be dry and free from dust, oil, grease, fuel spillage, mud, leaves, etc. In hot weather, it may be advisable to dampen the surface with water in order to retard the loss of water from the emulsion as it cures and to ensure better wetting of the surface by the emulsion. It is essential that the surface is free of standing water prior to and during application.
Asphalt Emulsion K1-40 must only be applied in dry, frost-free conditions which will remain throughout the film drying period. Temperatures of between 5°C and 35°C should prevail.
Before application drums should be well rolled to agitate contents before use. Cationic emulsions should be applied by brushing with hand broom or squeegee. Spread in one direction only and avoid scrubbing often. It is more practical to apply by spray as this provides a uniform distribution and even film. Spray equipment should conform to BS3136: Specification for Cold Emulsion Spraying Machines for Roads. Spray evenly to avoid ponding in hollows as this may cause localised “fatting up” of the subsequent courses.
TO ENSURE BEST RESULT
- Use without diluting Bitumen Emulsion with water
- Use at ambient temperature
- Roll the Bitumen Emulsion drums to and fro motion at a distance of minimum 5 meter
Safety and Handling Of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion K1-40
- Contains petroleum distillate; flammable: keep away from open fire, sparks, or other ignition sources; wear protective clothing, gloves, and goggles.
- Fire flammable when wet, flash point 40°C.
- Skin –avoid repeated or prolonged contact, if occurs remove with hand cleaner that removes oil or grease, then clean with soap and water.
- Eyes contact could cause irritation, if contact occurs flush immediately with clean water Inhalation can cause dizziness, move immediately in fresh air if dizzy, and if breathing difficulty persists administer oxygen.
Do not mix with anionic emulsions or with cationic emulsion from other manufacturers as this may cause co-agulation. This is particularly critical when spraying. If changing grade the following procedure should be followed:
- Drain spraying equipment completely.
- Flush the machine (including the spray lance) by continuous circulation of kerosene.
- Pump the waste solution into a waste receptacle and drain completely. Dispose of in accordance with regulations. Breaks in spraying should be accompanied by periodic flushing of the lance with kerosene. At the end of each working period, it is good practice to empty completely the contents of the container, flush with Kerosene by continuous circulation and then drain.
Advantage of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion K1-40
At the following you can find some advantages of this product:
- Environment friendly
- No heating required
- Easy and uniform spray
- Low-temperature curing, fast setting time
- High adhesive properties
- Prevents slippage of structural layers
Packing of Cationic Bitumen Emulsion K1-40
- Bulk as IBC Tank, FlexiTank
- Reconditioned steel drums 220 lit., Net Weight: 200 ± 3 Kg
- New steel drums 220 lit., Net Weight: 200 ± 3 Kg